Saturday, April 17, 2010

Screw The Moon, Let's Go To An Asteroid

Recently, President Obama has announced the cancellation of the Constellation Program at NASA. This program would have taken us back to the moon. However, the President has seen it fit to cancel the program. As for the moon, screw it.
Now, I understand that some believe that we should attempt a return to the surface of the Moon first, as previously planned. But I just have to say pretty bluntly here: We've been there before. Buzz has been there. There's a lot more of space to explore, and a lot more to learn when we do.

I have a problem with that. Just because we have been there already doesn't mean that we shouldn't go back. However, all in all, I agree with his sentiments and the mission that he has set NASA to perform.

One of the first things will be to land on an asteroid! How frakkin awesome is that! Landing on an asteroid would not only be sweet-ass-sweet, but it would also give us a great deal of data on asteroids, the formation of the solar system and possibly the universe, and will also teach us a lot about pushing an asteroid out of the way if one decided to aim for us, like Apophis.

Since I am more of a space fanboy than anything else, I must divert your attention to Dr. Phil Plait's blog on the new space program mission. I had the knee-jerk reaction of horror until i actually read what he was saying. He makes a good point for the new program and I must say, I agree with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment