Thursday, June 17, 2010

Agreeing With The Church Makes Me Vomit

Nothing makes my stomach turn more than having to agree with a church, especially when they are discriminating against gay people.

Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN has banned a coach and a team from the church softball league because the coach is a lesbian. This is stupid, ridiculous, and bigoted. However, I have to stand by the church's decision because it is their right to do so. Unless this church is receiving public funding, it is their right to discriminate against whomever they choose.

I do think they should loose their tax-exempt status. If they want to be in the business of discriminating against gay people because it is part of their religion, then they should pay taxes like the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, I think the church is despicable. It is amazing to me that churches can do stuff like this and be surprised when their numbers dwindle (something I love to see). Especially speaking as someone who is bi-sexual, I don't want anyone to be discriminated against for any reason.

I think the proper response here is scorn and sanction, picketing this church every day until the doors close. Let's bring the free market to the church.

------------------------------------------

Check out the original story and try to keep a level head when you read the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment